Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Twenty-Six Feathers

Twenty-Six Feathers


The phoenix rose up above me
Jerking herself in sudden flight.

I asked her, "What are you doing?
Where are you going?"

She said. "I am on a journey.
I have a lot to do."

I asked, "Where are you going?
What do you have to do?"

She was impatient and only said,
"I have things to do.  You will see..."

I felt abandoned.
No answers.  No help.

I always knew the Phoenix promised
A new life grown from the ashes of old.....

Every day I searched the ashes and rubble
For signs of life, signs of hope, signs of renewal.....

Suddenly a few feathers began to drop from the sky.
Those feathers were family and friends present in my deepest canyons of grief!

Time went on and I didn't find any feathers dropping my way,
Sure that my chance encounter with this mystical bird was a hoax or a hallucination.

New personal committments and a lot of hard work kept my mind off
Of any hope or expectations from the bird of fire.

Over time and through perserverance, many finish lines were crossed
Alone, yes alone with no expectations. 

So often I would reflect, looking into the mirror,
Asking all of those questions and wonder,

What is the point?  What is next?
Then a single feather droppped down upon my face.

It told me to look down, to look around.
I counted the feathers around my feet.

There were twenty-six feathers.
Each represented a person, an accomplishment, a victory.

She did not abandon me.
Her long flight had a purpose.

The bird said,
"Those were not my feathers, but yours.

Twenty-six feathers,
Each one for every one who loves you.

And one for every time you believed in yourself,
For courage, for strength, and for what you gave,

I gave back to you
For every year you had with your beloved."

Twenty-six feathers burn eternally
As a sign that I am renewed, alive, and live on.....

1 comment: